I could eat these little delectable turkey/tortilla swirls every day for weeks on end and still crave them. The salty turkey, the sweet-tangy honey cream cheese, the crunchy and sweet apple slices and the melted cheese combination are amazing. Simple as they seem, the combination of flavors and textures is delicious. I may or may not have dreamed about them on one occasion. (Yes, I know, I'm pregnant. But still . . .) Making the rollups is as easy as rolling the ingredients in a tortilla and pan cooking them, but they seem like something far fancier and time consuming than that. No one has to be the wiser about how easy they are, though. They work as well for an appetizer/party food as they do for a simple lunch, and they are more fun and impressive than a regular ol' turkey sandwich. Try them. Love them. Dream about them.
Turkey Apple Cheese RollupsPublished 02/25/2014
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 small red apple, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thin slices deli turkey meat
- Non stick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and honey, stirring until smooth. Spread on each tortilla.
- Add a single row of apple slices down each tortilla. Add half of the cheeses evenly on top of the cream cheese/apple slices. Top with a layer of deli meat, then the rest of the cheeses.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly. Spray a nonstick grill pan or griddle (or nonstick skillet) with nonstick cooking spray. Place tortilla rolls, seam side down, on pan and cook, turning every few minutes to prevent burning, until tortillas are browned on all sides and the cheese has melted.
- Cool cooked tortilla rolls 10 minutes before slicing into 1 inch thick slices with a serrated knife. Serve.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min (plus 10 min cooling time)
Recipe Source: adapted from Giada de Laurentiis