Five points if you can name what the pastry in these cream cheese rollups is made of.
If you guessed flattened white bread, you are the winner. If you didn't, don't feel bad. I ate one of these and still didn't know.
This recipe is about as easy and foolproof as it comes. I'm a fan of making things from scratch, but I also think every recipe box should have a few recipes like this one. They aren't glamorous, they aren't healthy, but we give them a pass because they taste so good. They are the kind of recipes we pull out when we are entertaining or have house guests because they get us in and out of the kitchen quickly. They are great to make with kids (if you don't mind a little mess) and don't require a long list of ingredients.
The ingenuous thing about this one is the bread. Who knew bread could be so easily transformed? Taking off the crusts and flattening it with a rolling pin makes it a more solid layer that is perfect to roll around some sweetened cream cheese. It puffs up slightly in the oven and gets crispy on the outside.
This recipe is also easily adapted. I found a few versions of it online and some had very sweet fillings, where others were hardly sweetened. I went with the middle route on my sugar amount, ending up with something that tasted like cheesecake to me. You can always add more sugar if you prefer. Middle of the road is probably want you want for white bread, too. Too cheap and it flattens too much and doesn't puff much in the oven. Too hearty and it won't flatten well or might overpower the cream cheese flavor.
Stash this recipe somewhere safe and the next time you have weekend guests or throw a baby shower, pull it out, whip these up and pat yourself on the back for getting out of the kitchen quickly.
Cream Cheese Rollups with Cinnamon SugarPublished 02/27/2013
- 20 slices homemade style white bread, crusts removed
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350. Roll out bread slices with a rolling pin until flattened; arrange on work surface.
- Beat together cream cheese, egg and 1/4 cup sugar. Combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or pie plate
- Divide cream cheese mixture onto bread, spreading about 1 level tablespoon on each. Roll up bread to enclose filling.
- Brush rolls all over with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (To make ahead, prepare to this step and cover baking sheets with aluminum foil. Freeze for up to a week. Do not thaw rollups before baking.) Bake until the rollups begin to puff, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook time: 18 min