I've said it before, but I'm a total wimp when it comes to spicy food. My poor little taste buds scream in protest when I eat anything hotter than a bell pepper. For some reason, though, I just love sriracha sauce. It give food such a great flavor that I always look for ways to use it, despite the fact that I can only handle very small quantities of the stuff. This salad is my new favorite use for sriracha sauce, because it is so, so good. It's a great combination of textures and flavors, with the crunchy carrots and celery and the mild smoothness of the black eyed peas. The sriracha vinagrette is amazingly delicious with just enough of a kick. If your taste buds are heartier than mine (and really, most people's are) you can increase the sriracha to make this spicier. I cooked my own black eyed peas from dried beans because it is cheaper to buy them that way, but you can find them canned in some areas or in the frozen section. If you've never tried black eyed peas before, this is a great way to try them. It's a perfect potluck food, side dish, or simple vegetarian lunch.
Black Eyed Pea Salad with Sriracha VinaigrettePublished 07/29/2013
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups canned Black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, Sriracha and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in black eyed peas, celery, carrots, bell pepper and parsley. Season to taste with salt and vinegar. Serve.
Prep Time:10 min
Cook time: None