Given my love for cookies, December is one of my favorite baking months. Pies may rule Thanksgiving, but Christmas is all about cookies. The shortbreads, the peanut butter kiss cookies, the sugar cookies, the gingerbreads . . . I love them all. I love the special red and green decorations that show up in the baking aisle, the cookie baking get togethers, and the trays of cookies shared between neighbors. I have my favorites for this time of year, and these crinkle cookies are one of them. The dried cherries and the almond flavoring give these cookies a special flavor that is different from most crinkle cookies, and they are sturdy enough to pack well for transporting to parties or friend's houses. The powdered sugar layer makes them wintery and festive without requiring a lot of extra time and work. If you are looking to round out a holiday cookies tray or just want to enjoy a rich, chocolately cookie, these are perfect.
Cherry Chocolate Crinkle CookiesPublished 12/16/2012
- 9 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chip morsels
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl stir together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix melted butter and sugar. While mixing, add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Add chocolate morsels and cherries and mix until blended.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, coat generously in powdered sugar and arrange on baking sheets 1 inch apart. Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in powdered sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops appear cracked. Cool on sheets 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook time: 12 min