Pineapple Sweet Potatoes
4 medium sweet otatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-1.5" chunks
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 T butter
1 T drained crushed pineapple, canned it its own juice
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground allspice
2 T light brown sugar
1 tsp butter
1. Pressure cooker instructions: Arrange the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket that fits easily in your pressure cooker. Lower the steamer basket into the pressure cooker. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure, then lower heat and cook for 3-5 minutes. Release the pressure using the quick release knob, remove the lid and lift out the sweet potatoes. Proceed to step 2.
1. Stovetop instructions: Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer sweet potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes. Pour off water and proceed to step 2.
2. Preheat over to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a 1 quart casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes. Add pineapple juice and 1 T butter and beat until fluffy. Stir in pineapple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Spread mixture in casserole dish.
4. Spread brown sugar over sweet potato mixture and dot with butter.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe Source: The New American Heart Association Cookbook