Happy Election Day! I love Election Day partly because I just love the feeling I get after I finish voting. It makes me feel so proud to live in this country and for the right we have to vote. The good feeling makes it worth the hassle of going to polling place and waiting in a line, even the three hour wait I had a couple years ago. And the possibly horrible experience waiting for me this year when I bring a toddler and a seven month old along. Still worth it! If you've voted, you probably know what I'm talking about.
The good feeling from voting is usually reward enough, but in case you want to reward yourself further, here are some cranberry oatmeal bars you should make, like, today. Or as soon as possible. They are super easy, super tasty, and perfect for this time of year. They are sweet and tart and perfectly soft, yet chewy. This is one of only a handful of treats I've made that my husband has eaten repeated servings of. The whole pan disappeared much faster than is healthy for our family but the gluttony certainly tasted good. This is a perfect recipe for a fall potluck or sweet treat on a chilly fall night.
Cranberry Oatmeal BarsPublished 10/28/2014
- 3/4 cup butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (not the instant or quick cooking kind)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 350 and spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugars, egg, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir in remaining ingredients and stir until just combined. (Mixture will be thick)
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool bars in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from www.penzeys.com