I don't know what it is about summer, but all my will to cook goes out the window. All that sun just makes me lazy. And it's only June! Hopefully my family won't starve before September rolls around.
Luckily there are recipes like this. So easy that I can make it while simultaneously giving tummy time encouragement to the 3 month old and with the "help" of a two year old hanging over my shoulder. So fast because there is no cooking required. So so so tasty. It's no wonder I've made it three times this month. And will probably make it a fourth if I can get to the store for more cilantro and tomatoes. It is the perfect recipe for my lazy summer self. It was even born from laziness - why scoop up salsa with a chip if you can mix the chips in and eat it with a fork? It's a hearty, filling salad full of bright veggies and beans. Take out the chips and it is even good for you. (But I don't suggest taking out the chips, because they add crunch and deliciousness. And because you only live once, okay?) If you use diced tomatoes, the only chopping required is for the cilantro, though I do prefer the taste of the salad with the fresh tomatoes if I have the time. If you need a quick lunch or dinner, or a great potluck salad to share, this salad is perfect.
Salsa SaladPublished 06/26/2014
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced (or 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large bag tortilla chips, crushed, or 2 bags tortilla strips
- Salt to taste
- In colander, toss the tomatoes (if using fresh) with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place over a bowl or in a sink and let drain for 15-30 minutes. (If using canned tomatoes, drain thoroughly and proceed to the next step)
- In a large bowl, combine drained tomatoes, corn, black beans, cilantro, black olives, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Season with salt to taste. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated at this point)
- Stir in crushed tortilla chips and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.
Recipe Source: HeatOvenTo350