here that Nicole posted, and it is my go-to super yummy recipe whenever I want to make popcorn balls and wrap them up all pretty-like and eat them and/or drop them by friends' homes. But my mom also had a caramel recipe that she'd make at least once a month and though it makes a HUGE giant bowl, it would last maybe one hour in our house of 5 kids! So anyway, I hmm'ed and haw'ed over adding this recipe on because though it is a caramel popcorn recipe it is NOT a recipe that you'd want to shape into a ball, mostly because it won't stay. This recipe is really gooey and just melts in your hands, and in your mouth. So I finally decided I'd just add it so that you all can have your cake and eat it too --or in other words, you can have one recipe for making popcorn balls, and one to make in a giant bowl and go to town on.
Ooey Gooey Caramel Popcorn
Source: Lynea Dimond
1 cup Light Karo Corn Syrup
2 cups Brown Sugar
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Butter
dash of salt, to taste
3-4 quarts of popped popcorn or 1 1/3 cup popcorn kernels.
1. Pop your popcorn and remove all kernels that didn't pop.
2. In a large saucepan bring the corn syrup and the brown sugar to a boil over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil stir for 4 minutes (yes you should time yourself b/c if you over-boil at this point then you won't have gooey popcorn, you'll have a more candy texture)
3. Add butter and the sweetened condensed milk and stir until it's well combined.
4. Add a dash or two of salt, to taste.
5. In a huge bowl (I mean huge, or you could use a paper grocery bag) pour the caramel over your popcorn and keep on stirring until you achieve an even coat.
6. Now, eat and try to stop. Bet ya can't do it!!