Here in Minnesota we have this adorable little cafe called Cafe Cravings and let me just tell you that it is positively sinful!! Every treat I've ever ordered from there is incredibly rich and decadent and pretty much Heaven! But by far my favorite treat is what they call their dream bar but what it really is is a revel bar that has taken some steroids and some major flavor enhancers. In other words it isn't your typical revel bar, but what you'd dream of if you could make it a little better. ;o) So I used my mom's recipe and just doctored it up a bit. After a few tries I came up with what tastes exactly like the Cafe Cravings' version. It is a DREAM!!
Cafe Cravings Dream Bars
3 cups Quick Cooking Oats
2 1/2 cups A.P. Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar
4 teaspoons Vanilla
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups Chocolate Chips, semi-sweet
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine 1 cup of butter and 2 cups of brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy then add the eggs and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix well.
5. Press 2/3 of the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.
6. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Once this is melted, take off heat and add the walnuts and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
7. Pour over the pressed crust.
8. Dot the chocolate with the remaining 1/3 cookie batter.
9. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. **Do not over cook--they will dry up and be *yuck*!!
**Over the Holidays I was making this and my oldest brother offered an idea which rocked my world..and the Dream Bars! Drizzle 3/4 caramel over the top before you bake it for a less messy bar OR if you want to drizzle it right after you take them out of the oven--either way WONDERFUL!!**