I had to post another peach recipe while they were still in season because this recipe couldn't wait until next season rolls around. Its simple, yet amazing combination of flavors has made me crave it ever since I first tried it. I've made it for my family at least three times the last month and I plan on squeezing in one more time before the fresh peaches around here disappear. I'm not sure if it is the delicious sweet/sour pockets of peach flavor in these rollups, or the sweet, caramelized flavor of the onions that is my favorite thing about this dish. Or maybe it's the crispy tortilla shell wrapped around a cheesy chicken filling. It could also be the fact that it is easy and doesn't require the oven - still an important factor right now where I live. Whatever the reason, it's amazing, easy, delicious and worthy of the best peaches that late summer has to offer.
Peach Chicken RollupsPublished 09/11/2015
Note: If you don't want to dirty two skillets for this dish, transfer the chicken mixture to a medium bowl before stirring in the cheese and carefully wipe the hot skillet clean before building your rollups and cooking them in it. You could wipe it clean after adding the cheese, too, but it will just be harder. With such a simple list of ingredients, make sure you use the best you can find for each one and don't shorten the onion cooking time. It really does make a difference to have the onions nice and soft for this dish.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works great for this)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, pitted fresh peaches
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 flour tortillas
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil and butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize, about 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the onions along with the peaches and chipotle chile powder. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until warmed, about 5 minutes. remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Heat another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of a flour tortilla. Fold the sides over the chicken mixture and press lightly to flatten. Place seam side down in skillet to cook, flipping after one side browns. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Recipe Source: Adapted from sugardishme.com