Mother's Day is this coming Sunday, and to celebrate I'm posting kid friendly recipes all week. I may be alone in this, but sometimes I have trouble figuring out different healthy(ish) options to serve my toddler, especially easy lunch recipes, and my idea of celebrating mothers is to have five new easy recipe options. Happy Mother's Day!
Frozen bananas are about the easiest frozen treat you can make, but they are so satisfying and so delicious. Somehow frozen bananas taste even better to me than regular bananas, though I can never figure out why. A lot of times in our house I'll just slice up a banana, wrap it in saran wrap, and freeze it for a snack. My daughter calls it "cold 'nana" (we are crazy original over here) and goes nuts for them. Of course the only way to improve on such a healthy snack would be to cover it in chocolate, right? And I probably don't have to tell you that as tasty as frozen bananas are, chocolate dipped ones are even more delicious. The great part is, they are easy and fast to make. I like to cut my bananas in slices and put them on skewers for easier dipping/serving versus leaving the banana whole. If you have older kids they could help dip and top with chopped nuts, coconut or any other topping you like. I love that the banana bites satisfy the need for something sweet or a frozen treat while being filling and relatively low fat.
Frozen Chocolate Banana BitesPublished 05/08/2014
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Chopped nuts, coconut, or other toppings (optional)
- Place chocolate chips and oil in a double boiler and heat over simmering water until chocolate is melted. (Or microwave on 50% power, stirring every few minutes
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Slide slices onto wooden skewers.
- Place melted chocolate in a low, shallow bowl and dip skewered bananas into the chocolate, using a spoon to help drizzle chocolate over the top half of each banana piece. Sprinkle with toppings, if using.)
- Lay skewers over a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and place in the freezer. Freeze 1 1/2 hours, or until bananas are firm and chocolate is set. (Frozen bananas can be kept in the freezer up to 1 week, though depending on the temperature of your freezer they might need to sit on the counter for a few minutes before serving because the bananas can be too frozen to bite easily straight from the freezer.)
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook time: 1-2 hours (mostly freezing time)